April 15, 2009

Cooking 101: The Real Deal

Just got back from 3 hours in the kitchen at Prep Kitchen Essentials in Seal Beach in the first of three sessions of cooking classes.

Food we made

Why would I need a cooking class if' I've been doing this a while? Well, for one, I think I could still use professional guidance on my techniques. But more importantly, I'm taking this class so that Aurora would finally have her cooking lessons.

Aurora is a mom of a one-year old, and she doesn't really cook. She has always said she wants to learn and she wants to do more now that she has a kid.

So this was a birthday and Christmas present for her from Brandon and I.

For tonight's class, we made Vegetable and Barley Soup, Pan Seared Pork Chops with a Mushroom and Shallot Pan Sauce, and Perfect Mashed Potatoes. Our instructor, Elizabeth, is fantastic. You know sometimes you could feel really intimidated by your instructor? Not here! Especially when you get to sit down and have your dinner with her at the end of class.

The group of 8 was split down the middle. Our group was designated the non-dairy one because of Aurora's allergies and another lady's intolerance. With me being the most experienced one of our half, I felt like I was TA'ing at some point. LOL. But that's good to be helping people feel comfy in the kitchen.

Cooking class

The knife skill part was first. We learned to slice today. It was just like the video Chef House posted for us a while ago which I have since learned to do. There was no vegetables flying across the table or anything. I guess having fancy Japanese steel to play with helped. Even the newbies could slice the mushrooms REALLY thinly. Amazing.

(And yes, you can bring your own wine! Since Aurora can't really drink while still breast feeding, I have to bring the little bottle. Oh, and yeah, Black Swan Shiraz is pretty tasty even in little bottles.)

We learned a lot. And had a wonderful time. Looking forward to the next 2 Wednesdays!

Final product

ETA: Elizabeth said as long as it's not interfering with the class, I can take pictures. Next time, I'm bringing the Nikon!

ETA2: Hello Seal Beach Daily tweeps and readers! :)

1 comment:

kellypea said...

I've never been to one of these classes, but have sat and watched a chef prepare food. This sounds fun -- especially the part about the wine. ha!