May 31, 2007

Damn you Belgian endive!

Tomorrow is the bridal tea party at the office. My plan was to make this delicious looking Endive Spears with Stilton Cheese, Toasted Pecans, and Sauteed Pears. This should be easy. I have seen Belgian endive at the local Ralphs Marketplace before. No problem.

My ghetto Vons never really have anything gourmet, but once in a while it surprised me. Like a while ago they stocked fennels and arugula. I haven't checked lately, but arugula doesn't get stocked any more. In any case, I stopped in to check for endive. No dice.

No problem. Ralphs Marketplace down the street has more gourmet stuff. Their produce section is huge.

Oh yes problem.

No Belgian endive. I'm sure I could've gone to the ever so reliable Bristol Farms but I had a LOT to accomplish tonight. I didn't have time to go all over town endive hunting.

Not to mention, as I picked up a tub of crumbled Gorgonzola (instead of Stilton) and a baggy of pecans, I noticed how little amount I am getting for the budget I had to stick with. It wasn't going to work out anyway.

So, I called Brandon to rescue me. He braved my recipe folder and found my back up plan, the ever so fabulous Giada's Italian Chicken Salad in Lettuce Cups. He relayed the ingredient list to me over the phone. I just had to get main ingredients but all the condiments I already have at home. (And yet, I still forgot to buy a lemon. But that's okay. Someone is bringing lemons for tea. I can certainly mooch one for the salad dressing.)

I have been home since, say, 7 p.m. So, for 2.5 hours with one hour dinner break, I roasted chicken thighs, chopped veggies, toasted almonds, made dressing, made the turkey meatballs in garlic cream sauce for dinner (recipe next time) AND clean up after all of that.

Take that, Belgian endives! I don't need you!

That's it. I'm going to bed.

1 comment:

MrsTooth said...

Oaks,

Trader Joe's is your friend in this case. 3 heads of endive for $1.99, chunks of cheese cheap...between Plowboys for produce and meat and TJ's for the rest, I hardly ever venture into the big stores anymore. I'm just too cheap.

Glad to hear it worked out anyway!